Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lipstick ... It’s powerful, important and essential!

Have you ever watched that new-ish show with Julianna Margulies called “The Good Wife”? While Alicia’s situation has few similarities to the circumstances leading up to my divorce, the trailers looked intriguing. On one of the first shows Alicia told a despaired female client to get up every morning, shower and put on make up. No matter how hard it was to find the strength or how much she didn’t want to. Alicia really stressed how critical it was to get up everyday and put on makeup, even though it may seem “surface”. Those words and that interaction between two TV characters for some reason really stuck with me.


While makeup/lipstick to the outside world may seem trivial, unimportant and like another attempt by the cosmetic industry to entice women to buy more, applying color to your face really helps improve your mood. Just the other day I was meeting a pal for a casual lunch. Some professional set backs and the bathroom scale registering at a year high really socked my normally high energy level. I knew that it would be good to get out, spend some time in a different part of town and be with a pal, but I just didn’t have the energy to put on the whole “armor”. With Alicia’s words running through my head, I picked the brightest, red-est tube from my collection. And you know, it worked. It perked me right up. Looking in the mirror after that easy 2 second application, my energy went up. With a single swipe of red tint, my attitude changed, and the afternoon was a total delight.


About.com has oodles of articles about color therapy, and there are some documented positive holistic effects to wearing red lipstick. It really is good for you. The holistic healing pros say we should wear red when our energy is low and we need a boost. Red lipstick isn’t only for Cleopatra, prostitutes and the girls in Vogue; it’s for all of us. So reach for that L’Oreal, Maybelline, Cover Girl or Lancome. This isn’t about vanity; it’s about your sanity, and feeling the best that you can no matter what you are facing.


Here’s to the true and real power of lipstick! What lipstick stories are you willing to share?


djv

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lipstick yes, but more importantly, the color. You chose red! That will make you look much more powerful, femme fatale, smelling of success than a brownish or dark color. We the men, seeing the colors will immediately recognize the message of the lipstick. So your day was a total delight, with your friend. How many loving looks did you get from the male gender on your way over there. Perhaps, it may have been the reflexion of your lipstick in men's eyes that made your day.

In any case, do not abandon that great excersice, we appreciate a good looking woman.

Laser sailor....

Divorce Salon said...

Laser sailor -
Here here! Yes to the lipstick! We gals are glad that you are noticing! I personally am sometimes tired of wearing lipstick - I am self-conscious that it is smudging, depending on the brand it may taste funny, sometimes it's just a bore to apply but when I do wear it I definitely feel different - more empowered but sometimes just more put-together. There is nothing wrong with that. If it makes us more noticeable then fine!
Oops - gotta go put on my lipstick!
Thanks for the comment!
DJV

Post a Comment