Thursday, November 5, 2009

Commitment Phobia Battle cont ….

Here’s part 2 of the anonymous comment we just had to make a post:

My divorce instilled a deep feeling of betrayal and mistrust of the opposite sex such that I don’t know if I can ever trust one of THEM again, certainly enough to marry them. I've spent a king’s ransom with my shrink to look inward for strength and understanding. My current honey makes me feel great, but still one of THEM! What do I do?


THEM? You can’t really be condensing all of us (men or women) into a single category of THEM. That’s just so incredibly surface, and you are only looking at the outer rough skin of the onion (it’s softer and smoother underneath, with parts you would actually … dare we say it …. eat).

Stereotypes applied to “all” women and “all” men are over exaggerations. Yeah we’ve all said them. “Men … Can’t live with em; can’t shoot em.” But let’s get real. The only commonalities between all members of each gender are physical. Men have penises and women have breasts … well men have breasts too, but you get the idea.

Stereotyping may provide us with immediate short term comfort; however, are we applying the generality to shut down an opportunity because it’s easier? Are we so petrified of getting hurt again that we opt out? There’s nothing wrong with fear; it’s what we do in the face of it that counts.

Alas it is true that your “current honey” is one of THEM. It can’t be avoided. No matter if you are a man or a woman, heterosexual or homosexual, you will indeed be getting together with one of THEM.

Anonymous,
It sounds like you are in pleasant shock that you could feel great in a relationship again, proving to us all that there is light at the end of the divorce tunnel.

By the way, if your “current honey” is divorced, you are one of THEM too.

djv

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUCH! Really! I am one of THEM! Yikes!
Yes, I am a pre loved and discarded "significant other". Hopefully a brighter and wiser one - that education ya dont get in school. Time will indeed tell what that tuition got me....
DS does makes a very good point here that contact with THEM is inevitable and the sooner I come to grips with that the better.
And yes, I am stonefaced dumbfounded that I am very happy which leads me to suspect that there must be something amiss.

Post a Comment